Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The stupid season has begun

Welcome back race fans...now that cross season is over and the bikes are clean, lubed and put in the rafters for the summer, it is time to play everyone's favorite game, Tour de Bikepath TT!!!

We all know how this is played, you are just minding your own business and here comes that "racer" on thier TT bike, aero bars, maybe thier disc wheel and feels the need to cut you close and keep going full bore like there is a some prize at the end of the path. Maybe you just have to take a piss really bad, who knows???!!!

So I hoped on the path over by Cherry Creek and started to head down the hill towards Kennedy GC and the ball fields. The wind is blowing out of the SW at about 20mph. On the fixie, it does not matter, I have to pedal. First person to "blow" by me was a chick on a TT bike. She was in the aero bars but had to stop pedalling to go around the sweeping corners, just ahead of us and heading downhill. If you cant go around corners in the aero bars, maybe you should either learn how, but not on the bike path, or switch positions so you have more control. She could have taken herself out or me also. Stupid!!

The next person on the hit list was a dude in a full team kit sprinting up the hill at the trail junction. He had that roadie look of "get out of my way, I am on my training ride" He got to the top of the hill, was coasting and gave that look to me of "did you see how fast I went up that hill?" If you feel the need to show off your speedwork on the bike path, maybe you should have raced longer into the season or since it was Tuesday, head over to Meredian. Stupid!!

After crossing the bridge at Hampton and Dartmouth, here comes today's winner, Mr TT!!! He had it all: Low profile bike, silver aero helmet, TT wheels and no bike handling skills. As I am coming across the bridge, I can see him, but I know he cant see me, he is in the aero bars with his head down. As we head to the corner, he feels the need to cut the corner like he needs to save those precious seconds and pushes me off the trail. Good thing that I have cross skills and dive onto the singletrack that is right there. He never changed position and kept going. Stupid!!

Nice job Fred!!! I know that you race for a big local team in black and blue kits. I know that you think that you were the only one on the path and never saw me. I know that you will be out at the CCTT in a couple of weeks and needed to get your training in. I know that you will also be racing crits and will need some assistance when someone takes you out and you want to finish the race.

I can say these kind of things, I am a card carrying member of the ACA and USA Cycling. I am also part of the neutral support program for ACA. I am the one that gives you that free wheel when someone takes out your wheel in a corner or runs you off the course and you need a free lap. I am the one who calms you down and gives you the push back into the field close to the front.

I am also the guy riding the bike path so just show everyone a little respect and train in the proper areas...Stupid!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Patheletes Rule! I'm in the process of putting aero gear on all my bikes to be ready for the summer pathlympics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure has, I was just taken out by some hack who thought he was sprinting for the Malloit Vert at the Chatfield group ride Saturday. We were doing some 40+mph and he thought he was Robbie McEwen or something riding right into me, trying to bump me off THE wheel to be on for a sprint. It's a fricking training ride for crying out loud, not Le Tour.

    ReplyDelete