Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Stone Cold Busted

So... Today started out as normal Wed during this CX season. On the bike at 0615 and a commute to work around Cherry Creek Res to get in some intervals. Today I felt pretty good after three 12 minute efforts.......finally over the cold that had been dogging me for most of the last month.

Then it was just an easy ride down the bike path into work. I came out of the park, across the street and onto the path. I slowed way down to navigate a 90 degree right turn and before the thought of "Oh Shit!" could enter my mind, I was on the deck and sliding on ice. At the end of my decent but before the slide I did a fabulous one point landing on my right elbow and confirmed that frozen concrete is indeed very hard.

I flopped around on the ground for a few minutes as my the feeling in my right arm went from numbness to pain. I finally got to my feet and tried to "walk it off". things got a little better...... then I tried to bend my right elbow. It was not the pain, but the sensation of gravel in the joint that gave me pause. So, I decided to stop doing that.

The final 6 miles of the commute to work was done with the right arm hanging straight down.

I headed straight in to the company nurse who nearly passed out at the sight of the giant goose egg on my elbow.

Next stop......X-rays in the ER

Finally, the doc comes in and says....."You have a monster break in your elbow."



Yeah..... I know....It's not supposed to look like that.
but check out that goose egg!!



So...... the 2010 CX has drawn to an abrupt end for this FMVC'er.

Not to worry. I get surgery to wire things back together when the swelling goes down next week and I am already laying in plans for next year.

4 comments:

  1. it almost looks like a hot chicks ass bending at the hip joint. Get well quickly .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elbow Ass? or Ass Elbow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude... Major bummer.
    How can you survive a full season of 35+ Cat4 riding and then have that be handed to you? Not right.

    We'll miss ya out there, get healed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chuck Norris would have made the crash walk "him" off!

    ReplyDelete