Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Something totally different


Since cross season ended back in January, I needed to fill the dead time between race season and training. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to sit in traffic for 6 hours to go skiing for 5 hours. I don't really like to hike since you can see more on the bike.

Photo courtsey of BSG
So towards the end of Oct, I took my oldest son Mason to the Rapids playoff game and we had a blast. I had coached his little kickers team the year prior and had fun. We met some guys and traded info and thought that was that. Instead, I got invited to a players only party at The British Bulldog. A really cool soccer bar downtown that is home to the Bulldog Supporters Group, (BSG), one of the bigger Colorado Rapids support groups. I met a guy named Corey and we got to chatting over beers, talking shop and the thought of playing soccer again was re-born. I told myself that this would be great way to train and not be gone all day on bike rides and away from the family.

So with that, I joined the BSG squad for a winter session of indoor soccer. Games were every Tuesday night for 55 minutes. They are co-ed, no slide tackles and no elbows. I had not played soccer since jr. high and knew it was going to hurt. Well, 8 games later, no wins, a hobbled right foot and lots of pain, I ended up leading the team in goals, I was full on hooked again. My buddy Pat who rides mtb's with us was getting half year season tickets and wanted to know if I was interested. I jumped at the chance to go to games.

We went opening night and were playing the new Portland Timbers team. They brought 500 fans to Denver for their first ever MLS game. We drank and tailgated for hours before the game and after. Met some great people and they were happy to invite all Rapids fans for the return match in June. When the email from BSG came with details of the trip, I got the hall pass to go away for the weekend.

Flying out mid day Saturday and getting into PDX around 2p, I was already about 5 hours behind in the drinking department. I met up with part of the crew and wandered the streets seeking BBQ, beer and more beer. What we found was some of the best tailgating you could ask for. The Timbers Army puts out a spread like no other. We were welcomed into their local pubs and treated like family. No trash talking, no acts of stupidity and the same hatred of the Seattle Sounders, another MLS team.

We marched into the stadium singing, chanting and beating drums just like at home games. We had our own full section, beers close by and felt like we were safe from any drunk that might want to start something. After a late goal in injury time, we celebrated until the stadium was empty, the Rapids team came over to our section and thanked us for being there and the party started all over again.

photo courtsey of BSG
There are some great fans up here in the Pacific Northwest and they treated us like we had known them for years. When you can go into enemy territory and come out with a win, lots of new traded swag and a two day hangover, you can bet everyone will be going back again

photo courtsey of BSG

No comments:

Post a Comment