Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Look up in the sky. It's a bird, it's a plane....No it's



So this email show's up in my box yesterday. This is from the NaturalWay Race team. All these guys live in the 'hood with me. They love cross just as much as the rest of us. Thier guys had some issues and some good samaritans helped them out a couple of times. Unfortunately, I don’t know who the guy is that gave up his bike to Zephyr.

"Some incredibly cool things happened at the cross race yesterday and I felt compelled to share for those not there.

First, while standing in line to register, Zephyr approaches me with the news he snapped his rear derailleur hangar. Race is over before it has begun, no refunds. So understandably bummed, we are chatting about this misfortune back at his truck. A gentleman parked next to us overheard the conversation and offered Zephyr use of his bike. HIS BIKE! A extremely nice Blue carbon race bike. He just asked Zephyr use his own wheelset. Now we don't know this person, he didn't know us, yet he didn't even give this a second thought. Well it ultimately didn't work out as he was riding a 9 speed and Zephyr has a 10 speed cassette (or vice versa). So instead of finding proper tools to swap cassettes, we gave him his bike back with a whole bunch of 'Thank you for the offer'. Never fear however as Bret (the second of our 6 foot 4 racers) just happened to bring his extra cross bike with. Zephyr gets to race and finished in fine form at that.

Second, during my race, once I hit pavement, I realized my rear tire is borderline flat. A lap or two goes by and as I'm passing Robert, I tell him my situation. A half lap later he holds up a wheel for me that I can swap out in the Pit. I ask him if it is a 9-speed. It isn't. Overhearing this, another guy approaches Robert and says that he has a 9 speed bike that he could lend. Not sure how the discussions went, however when I approached the pit area Robert screams that there is an extra bike waiting for me, guy in blue holding a Primus Mootry. Now going on my 3rd lap, I don't even know my name at this point, I thought I heard him correctly but wasn't sure. 20 seconds later, there it was, a guy in blue in the pit holding a nice custom Primus Mootry, full Ultegra. I hop off my bike and he gives me his. Again, I don't know this guy and he doesn't know me, he just overheard someone needing help and offered up his ride. Unbelievable. I found him after the race and couldn't thank him enough. I owe him a Duvel.

Meanwhile, Robert takes my bike, fixes my rear wheel, runs the bike over to the Power Washer (very muddy yesterday) cleans it up good and by the time I came back around, there he was in the Pit with my bike all ready to roll. I can't believe this is going on. I have my own Pro staff!! I jump off my loaner and grabbed my bike back (though I did a horrific job in the transition...). Long story short, I finished the race with ever so dependable Bret there waiting with a nice cold Old Chub.

Fourth, Zephyr's son Elliot, in the hunt for 4th place in the Junior 7 -8, wipes out on the home stretch, cracks his helmet, simply gets up and carries his bike over the finish line.  Seriously.

Fifth, while watching a bald eagle soaring over the start of the Beginners race, Zephyr's wife Jenn throwing her bike in the ring killing her first ever cross race. Nice work Jenn.

Now, if you are still reading, this was simply an awesome day to be riding a bike with good friends. If anyone is on the fence still about trying cross, I urge you to get a bike (use your mountain bike) and come out. If you don't want to race, come on out anyway and share a few beers in the parking lot. If you have never been to a race, you need to."

They guy standing there with the spare PM was none other than our very own Big Tom Hall. Tom should be the care-taker for all things bike racing on the front range. He does more for little guy than anyone else that I know. Thanks Tom....you have saved yet another racer with your kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment