Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Looking for a new ride

I know that it is almost the end of the year, but I really want a new ride. My Empella has been great but the love for her is just not there any longer. I got her back in 2001 and the first race was Nationals in Napa. Then she sat in the rafters for about 3 years since I could not race becuase of ankle issues. But over the past 2+ years, it has been thrashed and trashed almost every weekend from Sept. through Dec.

So these are the two rides that I have come up with:


Now the cross bike is made by Pedal Force and they are having a group by on it. If they can get 140 people to sign up, then the price goes down to 530 dollars. The frame weighs in at a scant 2.5 lbs. They have a couple of different fork options also. Max speed on this one will be around 50kms an hour. This bike looks an just like the Leopard CX1 that Parbo is racing this year. Except that they want almost 800 dollars more. Pedal Force has done other group buys for thier mtb/road frames and they seem to get some great reviews over at here.




But the Humvee Corbra, the above edition is setup for the Turkish Army. It does not get great mileage but people will pull over to the left as you go by them. It weighs in at a scant 8 tons. This one has options galore. Camo paint, Add on Armour, Amphibious kit, Night and Day vision periscopes and gunner protection kit. Problem is, nobody can get me a price on this one. I dont think that they will be having a group buy either. Top speed on this one is 115kms per hour.

There are a couple of other bikes that have me interested. The Origin8 Foxtrot seems really nice. An aluminum/carbon bike with a full carbon fork for around 800 bucks. The fork itself is supposed to be lighter than the Ritchey WCS cross fork.

The Salsa Chili Con Crosso has also peeked my interest. A scandium frame that weighs less than 3 lbs and it comes with an Alpha Q cross fork. Living in CO, I see them each week. They are ridden by the Clif Bar kids and they come screamming by me, putting me a lap down at each race so maybe that is what I need.

I know that I could just get a Redline, Kona, Ridley or whatever else is on the market, But everyone has one of those.

If anyone out there has ridden any of these bikes, please let me know. I am already stashing new cross parts for next year. I am hiding stuff all over the house like a squirell hides his nuts all over my backyard.

2 comments:

  1. I am chasing after a Vertical Canyon. Possibly looking at sponsorship with them. I am just waiting for the multi tool with the crescent wrench to be developed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was really happy on my chili con crosso. there is some paint corrosion around the water bottle bosses but they sound likely to warranty the frame as a result.

    ReplyDelete