Monday, November 17, 2008

Taking one for the team

So Sunday came and the weather was looking great. High's in the mid 60's is a great day for cross anywhere.

After picking up Dash at his casa, we headed out on the most expensive toll road in NA and headed East towards kiddie prison. The last time that I was this for east, I was already close to the Kansas border. We get out to the course and low and behold the entire course is already set up and people are riding. This has been a big issue this year with such early start times. Big props to the Schwab guys for having it all ready to go. I hope others will take notice and follow suit.

Brian and Scott were already kitted up and ready to go. After looking over the course, I was luke warm to it. It had 2 big hills and this kid is still fat and out of shape. So I hymed and hawed over what to do. Brian came back from his reco lap and I could tell on his face that this was going to be hard for him and he is in shape. Scott came back and needed to change tires since he was riding on grass tires and he already had a flat. The day was not looking good.

So I went back to the car and put my skirt on for the day and decieded to take one for the team. I would do hand up's, shoot some video and be pit boy for the real hard men that were racing. I find a nice place that I could do hand ups and get back to the pits in a quick second. The race starts and goes uphill fast. First lap in and Brian might be having an issue. He yell's at me that he has a rear flat. I get him his back up stead and he is back in the game. I change out wheels and he is back on the Kona. But only for a short time. He makes it around the east side of the course and is flat again and ends up finishing his race on the mtb.

Dash was going strong and looking good. I guess being "in between jobs" gives you time to train and ride alot. He was killing it in the top 10 or so. The guy that won the race was really killing it and rode away from everyone. Dash was sure to be top 15 but a late race flat and Brian stopping and helping him in the pits netted a 16th place finish. At the end of the day, Dash was 16th with Scott coming in 21st and Brian 26th.

Not a bad day for the Fry boys all in all. I did a couple of others flat changes for guys in the BDDL. No reason not to help out my fellow racers.

This weekend I will get to double up for the first time in almost a full year. The course down at the Springs is a great. Sunday's race will be new for me. I know the course but have never raced it before.

2 comments:

  1. Frites en Mayo - meet Stan. Stan not Mayo is what you need in dem dare tires !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a funny thing though Tom, I know those guys had put Stans in. Maybe the Mayo would be better. It is much thicker than Stans!

    ReplyDelete