Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Custom frame fun time

Lance Armstrong is a self important ass. He's a pompous prick that has no friends, only people who serve some usefulness to him. And, he's a complete and total idiot.

Why do I say that? Because it IS about the bike. In fact, its ALL about the bike. Thus the reason I am having a custom steel frame built for me by my friend Mark Salmon and his band of California hoodlums at BS Bikes.

Now, you may ask yourself "Why a custom steel frame?" My answer to that seemingly simple question is multi-faceted. First off, I want a bike that looks like the ones I grew up riding. You know, skinny tubes, made of steel, that classic look that makes you think of Hinault and Merckx. I want a bike that looks classic but rides modern. From a distance you should see me riding the bike and think "Where'd that slow guy get a vintage Colnago?" As you overtake me, your double take will tell you its not a vintage frame, but a modern frame built with the best tubes True Temper has to offer.

Yeah, its all about the bike. And this one has the potential to be amazing, almost a piece of art. I'll still ride my Cervelo but whenever the weekend rolls around and I want to get up early and go for a 3 hour ride around Golden, my first choice will be the steel classic from BS Bikes.

Already the builders at BS Bikes have started the process. The first pictures are on Facebook. Right now, they have the jig dialed in and have the seat tube mounted in the jig. But looking at that one tube sitting there, I got goosebumps. In a few weeks, I'm going to be the happy owner of a bike that is singular amongst the crowd of Specialized-Trek-Giant-blah bikes that all look and feel the same. Just in time for spring, I'll be pedaling around on something that I've wanted for a long, long time. I'm so excited, I think I might pee.

If you don't currently follow BS Bikes on Facebook, you should. Or, at least have a look at their work. You'll be impressed. They do great work at a great price.

1 comment:

  1. Right on my man,
    I snagged a early 90's Serotta Colorado on ebay, having Andy Gilmour of Gilmour bikes work it over. I love the ride of a steel frame. Not that my Ottrott was a bad ride, just different.

    ReplyDelete